KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 4 — The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment has asked the Department of Environment (DOE) and the Minerals and Geoscience Department (JMG) to conduct a thorough inspection of the East Klang Valley Expressway (EKVE) project alleged to have caused floods in the surrounding areas.
Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said, right now, the JMG was in the midst of making a detailed study of slopes, soil movements and landslides in the area.
He said the project had been subjected to a stop-work order under Section 34AA (1) (b) and 34AA (2) (c) of the Environmental Quality Act 1974 on Oct 24 following complaints of frequent flooding due to construction work and EKVE’s failure to address erosion and sedimentation at the project site.
“The stop-work order is still in force and will continue until the ministry is satisfied with all the remedial measures and erosion and sedimentation control implemented,” he said in a statement today.
The statement was issued in response to media reports regarding complaints from residents of Kampung Felcra Semungkis, Hulu Langat who claimed the project had caused floods in the village.
Commenting further, Wan Junaidi said the monitoring activities mounted by the Selangor DOE had so far found no occurrence of floods, earthwork or construction taking place in the areas as alleged.
“There are only a few erosion and sedimentation control components which were damaged by continuous heavy downpour over the past several days,” he said.
The Phase 1 of EKVE project involves a 24km stretch from the Sungai Long Interchange to the Ukay Perdana Interchange.
The project is divided into three packages, namely from Sungai Long Interchange to Hulu Langat Interchange (14km), Hulu Langat to Ukay Perdana Interchange (10km) and Taman Sierra Ukay to the Kg Pasir Interchange, Ampang (3km). — Bernama